Happy Birthday, Sir Paul!
In celebration of his huge success, here are some fascinating facts about the man of the hour,
– Paul was born on June 18, 1942 in Liverpool, England.
– Paul is about 5′ 11″ and weighs about 160 pounds.
– McCartney faced a heartbreaking tragedy at the age of 14 when his mother, Mary, died of complications following a mastectomy. He honoured his mum’s memory by naming his first daughter after her.
– Paul had a busy sex life, beginning at the age of 15.
– Paul wrote “Hey Jude” for Julian Lennon after John’s divorce from Cynthia. The original title was “Hey Julian.”
– The artist who showed him the option to play guitar left-handed was… Slim Whitman.
– The musician taught himself to play the Spanish guitar, trumpet and piano – all by ear.
– He famously married three times – he was widowed when his beloved first wife Linda Eastman died from breast cancer in 1998 and he divorced former model Heather Mills in a highly publicised court battle in 2008, after six years of marriage. He’s hoping it’ll be third time lucky after wedding New York socialite Nancy Shevell last year.
– His hit Beatles song Yesterday is the most covered song in the history of recorded music – more than 2,200 artists have performed their own renditions of the track.
– McCartney became the last of the Fab Four to be awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame when he unveiled the honour earlier this year.
– He became a vegetarian when He looked out on his farm and saw an animal wandering around that he was about to eat. He told Linda “Well we are becoming vegetarians now” and would not eat that meal
– He boasts an estimated fortune of $760 million (£475 million), making him one of Britain’s wealthiest people.
– The only instance in which McCartney has utilized a string quartet, other than on “Yesterday”, was on a tribute song he wrote for John Lennon
– It was Paul who finalized the break up of The Beatles, saying he was quitting the band because of “musical differences.”